Coming to this section of the post means you have completed your DS-160 application form and submitted it successfully. If you have not completed your DS-160 visa application form yet, then please refer to Part 1 of the series- How to apply of US tourist visa-DS160 form.
This post today will be all about:
- US visa fee.
- Scheduling an appointment
- FAQ section related to DS 160 form and US Visa appointment.
Now you are one step away from scheduling your US visa appointment. But before that, you need to pay your US Visa fee. Some countries like India need an additional appointment for biometrics at a visa application centre (VAC). The procedure to schedule a US visa appointment in Asia is slightly different than the rest of the world. Here, I will provide a complete guide for those who want to schedule their US visa appointment in Asia. For other countries, I have also provided an excellent source to refer at the end of the blog post.
2. User Registration
- Head over to US Travel docs website.
- Select your continent from the map shown.
- Select your country.
- Is this your first time applying for a visa and/or visiting our site?[ If you want to read all the information related to Non-immigration visa, click ‘YES’ otherwise ‘NO’]
- If you have selected ‘yes’, go for Non-Immigrant visa type in the options.
- If you have selected NO, you will be redirected to the login page.
- After selecting ‘NO’, click on the login page and select new user.
- You will be taken to the “new registration page”. Fill all the information there as per mentioned in your passport without any mistake.
- Click submit and note down your username (email) and password to successfully open your application later.
3. New application
- After logging in with the credentials, click on “new application/schedule appointment” on the left side of the page.
- You will be asked to select your visa type. Click on the “Non-immigration” for B1/B2 visa type.
- On the next page, you need to select your country of residence.
- On the next page, you need to select the preferred language in which you are comfortable to give your visa interview.
- Please select your visa category on the next page. For people applying for B1/B2 visa; select Business/Tourism category.
- On the next page, kindly select your visa class. Select B1/B2 – VISITOR FOR BUSINESS AND PLEASURE.
- After submitting all the information, you will be taken to review all the information you have filled so far. Also on the bottom left of the page, the first available appointment will be shown to you. But you cannot select the available slot as you have not paid the visa fee yet. It is just for your reference only. Click on confirm button and proceed further.
4. Personal Information
- On next page, you need to fill all your personal information. This includes:
- Passport Number
- Passport Issuance date and place
- Passport Expiration Date
- Date of Birth
- First Name
- Last Name
- Country of Birth
- DS-160 Confirmation Number
- Contact Information
- Mailing Information
5. Dependents Information
- Click on ‘Add by Name”, If you are traveling with in a group or with dependents (spouse, child, parents), who needs to apply for a US visa.
- Pl note that every member of the group or family needs to fill a separate DS-160 application form.
- All group applicants can mention their DS 160 number in the “Add by Name” option.
6. Interview Waiver program
All applicants are required to answer below questions. Based on the answers provided by the candidates, eligibility for the interview waiver program will be calculated. Select "No" below to all questions if you are first time applying for the US visa.
- Are you (the visa applicant) under 14 years of age? Click “No” to continue
- Are you (the visa applicant) 80 years of age or older? Click “No” to continue
- Do you have a previous B1/B2 visa? Click “NO” to continue.
NOTE: A child below 14 years of age and person above 80 years of age is eligible for the interview waiver program based on further evaluation criterion. Under certain conditions you are eligible for the interview waiver program.
1. Under 14 years of age and applying for the US visa first time with a condition that both parents have a valid US visa
2. Above 80 years of age and first time applying candidate for the US visa.
3. Above 80 years of age and have a previous valid US visa.
4. You have a previous US visa, and it was issued after your 14th birthday, and it was not lost, stolen or cancelled, and your most recent visa was never refused before, then you are eligible for visa waiver program.
7. Document Delivery
Once your visa has been approved, you have two options to collect your passport.
- Pickup: To pick up your passport from the visa application centre or courier head office.
- Delivery: To receive your passport by mail to your home. For the delivery option, you need to pay some nominal amount to the courier service at the time of delivery. You can check this amount at the document delivery page.
8. Visa Fee
Current visa fee for Tourist/Business B visa type is 160 USD which is equivalent to 11520 INR. Below is a screenshot taken from US travel docs site for various visa fees for different category of Visas.
Important note for visa fees: US Visa Fees are not refundable. If you have encountered an error while making your payment or you believe your payment was not successful, do not try to pay the fee a second time as it will not be refunded. In doubt, kindly email their support staff at email@example.com with your concern.
For current visa rates. Please refer US travel docs Visa fee section.
9. Payment options
On the next page, you will see a payment options screen. You need to select a payment mode, and once the payment has been verified within 2 business days, you can easily schedule an appointment for the visa interview process. Various payment modes are:
- NEFT (National Electronic Funds Transfer) with Bank of America
- Mobile Payments (IMPS)
- Cash- Over the counter (Axis Bank, PNB and CitiBank)
Before proceeding further Kindly note that:
- Each visa applicant, including children, is required to pay the Visa fees if applicable.
- Check for the visa waiver program for the participating country.
- Every applicant needs to check his or her eligibility for the Visa waiver program. You may not need to apply for a new visa based on your age and previous valid US visa. Kindly check your eligibility here.
- Visa fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Visa application fee is determined by the type of Visa. Kindly check the visa fees here
- Please pay payment only as per unique account number as the payment is non-refundable.
- Transfer the correct amount as per your visa category. Incorrect fund transfers will make unnecessary delays for your visa appointment.
- Once you select this option, you will be presented with a unique account number.
- Several other beneficiary details will also be provided to make the payment from your bank account.
- Kindly note the unique account number and save it somewhere for future reference. You need to use this number while scheduling your US visa interview.
- Make an electronic fund transfer to this unique account number.
B. Mobile payment/ IMPS
- For this, beneficiary mobile number and beneficiary MMID will be provided to the user.
- User can pay the MRV fees through his or her local bank account.
- Some bank has a limit of 5000 Rs per transaction. Kindly contact the bank or check their website before making any payment. You can also check the daily limits of some Indian banks here.
- Once the payment has been verified, you will receive an SMS containing 12 digits IMPS reference number. Kindly note down the same for future reference.
C. Cash over the counter
- Using this method, you can make payment directly at any of the designated bank branches.
- Download the visa fee slip from your payment profile option.
- Fill all the details and carry the slip/collection form to the bank.
- Once you pay the fee at the bank, you will be given a reference number. Kindly note it somewhere for future reference.
In my case, I paid the visa fee using IMPS payment option. I made the payment on Friday, so it could be verified on Tuesday only. It took 4 days (including holidays) to confirm the visa fee.
10. US VISA Appointment
once you have paid the visa fee, login again with your credentials at the profile section of the website and click on the continue button on the left side menu. You will be taken to the payment screen.
At the payment screen, you will be asked to enter the receipt number to verify the payment. Once the receipt number has been verified, click continue to schedule your visa interview.
Sometimes when you enter your receipt number, you will be shown an error saying that the receipt number is invalid. It happens when your payment has not been verified. You need to wait for a day or two before you can re-enter your receipt details. Once the receipt you have entered has been verified, you will be taken to the schedule appointment page.
It is applicable to some countries only. It is also called OFC (Offsite Facilitation Center) appointment or VAC (Visa application centre appointment). It is set up by the US embassy to enable faster processing of your fingerprints and visa photographs before your US visa interview. You need to schedule an appointment to visit the OFC centre if this is a pre-requisite for your country.
Just select your visa interview location on the screen and schedule a biometric appointment. You will be displayed all available days and slots to schedule a visa appointment.
B. Interview appointment
It is also called consular appointment. On the screen, pick your available slot and confirm the interview appointment. Kindly take a print of your confirmed appointments. You will need it on the day of your scheduled appointments.
You also check for wait times for the interview appointments based on your country/region here.
There is no provision of scheduling both biometric and interview appointment on the same day. Biometrics can be scheduled only a day before the visa interview appointment based on the available slots.
11. FAQ Section
Can I schedule my biometrics and interview appointment on the same day?
It is not possible to schedule both appointments on the same day, but a biometric appointment can be scheduled one day before the interview appointment.
I have made an interview appointment and paid the visa fee, but now I want to change the appointment schedule?
yes, it is possible to change both biometric and interview appointments. Just login again to US Travel Docs website with your login credentials and check for recent available slots.
I want an early appointment, but at the confirmation page, the latest available appointment is days away from my desired dates.
Once you have taken your appointment date, you can login again to US Travel Docs website and check for the latest available interview slots. There is always a chance that a few applicants change/cancel their slots, and you can utilize those available slots as per your preference.
What if I want to change my appointment 24 hours before the interview?
Yes, you can change your interview appointment 24 hours before your scheduled day. Just login again to US Travel Docs website with your login credentials and check for recent available slots.
I have opted for X language at the time of DS -160 application form, and now I want to give my interview in Y language.
At the time of your biometric appointment, you will be asked again to give your preference of language for your interview. If not asked, you can request for the same at the counter window.
I paid my visa fee, but at the time of scheduling my interview, the page shows that the receipt entered is invalid.
It takes 2-3 business days to confirm the payment, and once your payment has been verified, receipt number will become active. Kindly do not count holidays and weekends for it. If still, you are not able to confirm your receipt at the appointment page kindly email their support centre at firstname.lastname@example.org with your concern.
How do I edit information on a DS-160 form after having booked the appointment and paid the visa fee?
Good news, you can! But this information is only valid for the principal applicant’s DS-160 form. You can start a new DS-160 application and enter all the correct information and save its application ID. Then visit UsTravelDocs website and select the update your profile option. Please enter your new application ID number where you have filled all correct information and save it. Through this, your old DS-160 application will be updated with the new DS-160 application number. You do not need to pay any additional US visa fee. Same steps can be used in a scenario of submitting a group application where only your DS-160 form is incorrect.
Can I change my location of the US Visa Interview after submitting the DS-160 form?
Yes, you can have a different interview location other than what you have selected in your DS-160 form. Just make sure it should be in the same country where you are applying for your Visa. The applicant needs to create a new DS-160 application form and update it in the system at UsTravelDocs website.
Do I need to submit DS-160 form for my child also?
Yes, The DS-160 form is required to get you a non-immigrant visa. Irrespective of the age of the child, every individual having intentions of visiting US, need to fill and submit a separate DS-160 application.
I have a valid US visa and I want to apply the same for my child also.
Every individual having intentions of visiting US needs to fill and submit a separate DS-160 application. So if parents have a valid US visa, then fill separate DS -160 form for the child and submit it. At the USTravelDocs website, the application will automatically enrol the child based on your answers into the interview waiver program.
My family is applying for DS-160 form. Do I need to fill a separate application for my child too?
Irrespective of age, every individual having intentions of visiting US needs to fill and submit a separate DS-160 application.
We are applying for DS-160 form. Does my child need to attend the interview?
Children under the age of 14 years do not need to attend the interview. If applying as a family, either of the parents can attend the interview without the child.
If you are applying from continents other than Asia, refer this post
That's it, guys! Now the next step would be to get yourself gear up for the interview process. I have also enclosed some more FAQ in next post to help you further for the US visa process. If you have any questions or stuck at any point of your visa process, feel free to comment here or email me.